It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Ray of Hope? Down To Only Two Fernando's, Nieve's Reprieve Gives Mets what they Need

http://www.drennon.org/bill/comet2b.jpg
Brian Schneider's homerun, pictured above, gave the Mets another early lead to squander.

The Mets overcame another mildly upsetting bullpen run giveback special from Bobby Parnell to defeat the reeling Rays. Parnell wasn't too hot, but the rest of the pen delivered smooth sailing to go with home run power of those guys Omar got for Lastings Milledge. It was easy being (Sean) Green again tonight, and you have to wonder whether some pumpkins aren't turning into princesses. Exhibit A: Fernando Nieve gave Omar another reprieve with a solid performance through six. I don't know if the Mets can take this series and close in on the Phlailing Phillies, even with the Great Santana going tomorrow. All I know is, someone needs to feed Marty "Pants" Noble before he writes up his game wraps.

FMart was sent down before the game so that Everlovin' Nick Evans could come up, flail away, and look overmatched in his place. I don't really see the point, other than to get F' some seasoning.

***
Another bad Endy. Endy Chavez was injured last night in an outfield collision. Hope it's not too serious, but it looked that way.

***
For all you Joe Buck haters (and by that I mean all women, men, and children of sound mind), if you haven't heard Artie Lange's appearance on Buck's attempt at the HBO Costas show, check it out. The internet extra can be seen here. Lang is not normally my cup of tea, but to watch Buck so thoroughly get hoisted up a flag pole by his underwear is rather enjoyable. Jeff Pearlman has some commentary.

Pearlman is blogging up a storm. In a recent post he asks, why do sports fans hate sportswriters these days? Having written much on this topic and gotten to the post a little late, I didn't put my two cents in. But the post and the comments it elicits are interesting reading in any event.

Everyone has a blog. On his baseball blog, Keith Olbermann explores the possibility of a Johan Santana injury. Where do these people find the time for this?

4 Comments:

  • At 5:52 AM, Anonymous James K. said…

    As the popularity of blogs has increased, I'd wager that average hours of sleep has decreased. I know it's true for me, and I have no problem with that.

     
  • At 6:11 AM, Anonymous James K. said…

    Additionally, the comments section on that Pearlman post features some of the smartest, well-written comments I've seen on the Internet in awhile. I'm bookmarking it for posterity and as a way to remember some of the great points made.

    A couple quick thoughts on sportswriters:

    - One of my biggest beefs is journalists trying to make themselves the story (guys who didn't vote for Rickey H. for the Hall of Fame, Stephen A. Smith, etc.) instead of reporting the story. When questioned, these same people will scream "I'm a journalist! I went to Northwestern U.'s J-School! Don't lecture me on journalism!"

    - Another is summed up by commenter "Greg Andrew" on the Pearlman post, so I'll just copy and paste it:

    "Sportswriters are expected to write stories about games even when those stories aren’t there. They’ll be fired if they don’t. So they end up writing lots of stories where none exist. They make games into tests of character, will power, fortitude, because writing that team A won over team B because team A guessed right about a few pitches is boring."

    I guess that last one is more of an inherent problem with the job itself and not so much the people holding the job.

    - The moral judgments handed down by journalists is also appalling. When the A-Rod steroids story broke, the stories written by many in the MSM were absurdly over-the-top, some claiming the season was ruined, that this was the biggest scandal in sports history, and so forth. Give me an effing break. Sportswriters (in general, imho) hate players and look for any chance to bring them down. Players aren't saints either, but I tend to favor them in these kind of "debates."

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Anonymous jdon said…

    Iactually fell asleep in the top of the8th. See, Iam notgetting any joy of winning ordepression over losing. We need a new team. I find it very hard to feel anything aboutmost of these guys.

    Here is what galls me about today's sportswriter. When I was young a long time back (The Dawn of Time,in fact) The News, the Mirror and the Journal American all had different takes on a game. Now all the sportswriters are fed material and they all just rehash it. I see the same story almost word for word from one paper to the next. An AP feeed would serve just as well. Is there still an Associated Press? I don't even know. I usually only read sports columns. For all of their complaining about bloggers, sports writers are completely unoriginal and therefore jealous of the freedom (license?) expressed bybloggers. The height of hypocrisy is the fact that they all have blogs now themselves.

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    Inspired by these comments,I wrote a response while I ate my breakfast. But apparently these comments are limited to 4,096 characters, which I never knew. So I'll put my ramblings in regular post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.