It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pathetic Mets Schneid into Second Place

First things first: Brian Schneider lost this game for the Mets. You can blame the lame offense, or point to the shitpen, but all Mr. Defense had to do is catch the relay from Easley, wait a beat, and tag out the runner to end the game. That's all. I've seen enough of Brian Schneider, who I would prefer not to see in a Mets uniform next year, not that I'm as high as others are on cream puff sleepyHEAD, who left the game with some kind of leg injury. Schneider's defense is underwhelming, and his reputation for prowess is certainly the creation of some clever agent. This loss is on him.

As for the other half of that dreadful trade of Lastings Milledge, Ryan Church looked positively concussed tonight, going something like 0 for 100. Mets "stars," outside of Jose Reyes, did their familiar dissappearing acts, David Wright falling all over himself in the field and failing at the plate in key situations. Wright, Delgado and Beltran, as they have during so much of the season, were content to leave most of the offensive production to Easley and Tatis.

It was pretty clear that the Mets were going to lose this game. No one can be suprised at the outcome of a game left in the hands of the Mets shitpen. But to draw it out until the 13th inning was maddening. They ruined my night, and perhaps their season tonight.

But this is condition critical for Omar Minaya. Perhaps you think his hands are tied. But there is no earthly reason to keep bringing Mssrs. Sanchez, Feliciano, Heilman, Smith into games. Their names are on the roster, but they cannot get the job done. My dog could tell you that. September 1, the Mets need to bring up anyone who can grip a baseball, and find three guys who can pitch worth a damn, no matter what their contracts say.

When Luis Ayala came into the game, things seemed to be looking up: he was a chump, but at least he wasn't one of our chumps, one of the usual suspects. Operating in a different culture all season, albeit a culture no more sucessful then the Mets', perhaps he would step up and make the nightmare go away. Then he blew the game too. Well, now he can take his place amongst the other chokers.

You can give Aaron Heilman all the credit you like for prolonging this August baseball misery as long as he did. But the Phils did everything short of sending Strawberry Shortcake up to the plate. Had pitcher Cole Hamels been a bit luckier, Heilman's traditional goat role would not have trickled down to Shownblow, the man with one ball who pitches like he has none.

Note to SNY: Put the fucking pitch speeds up after each of the pitches, not just some of them. They're a key part of the broadcast. You're really pissing me off. Also, someone remind Keith that he can't decide the umps been consistently giving the low ball strikes when his own booth was discussing how the ump was not being consistent on those pitches while Pedro was pitching.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was a team loss. But Brian Schneider definitely threw his oversized mask in the ring for team captain.

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This article pretty much sums up the anger I feel too. Schneider did blow that play. He totally fucked it up and I don't know where the bullshit about him being a defensive catcher comes from. This guy has sucked defensively all year. I can't blame the whole loss on him though. Pedro gave up fucking 5 runs. in 5+ innings. At that point we all had to know that there was a 100% guarantee the Mets were losing. ONE HUNDRED percent. No less. As soon as the bullshit pen was called on..we should have just forfeited the game. It was in the loss column as of the 6th inning when the Mets were still winning. I fucking hate everyone of those fuckers. Heilman, Feliciano, Sanchez, Smith and now Ayala can join them all. They are all diseased animals that need to be out of their misery and put to rest. They should have a lifetime ban from baseball slapped on them as well.

    I am so fucking mad. I cannot take another game like this. It's better for me to just not watch. I just can't physically or mentally take it.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    SleepyHEAD has exhausted my patience.

    Schneider, as it turns out, was our best option in the '07-'08 offseason, with the exception of Torrealba. Everyone else on the radar, LoDuca, Estrada, and even Posada, has been far worse, and Torrealba has Schneider's numbers at Coors Field, though he plays real-as opposed to imagined-defense. What would have made him a superior option is that he would not have cost Lastings Milledge.

    The pen gave up 3 runs in seven innings, and one of them was Schowienweiss, who doesn't really count as a real pitcher.

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    i feel like the conductor of a glorious anger symphony.

    I agree with everything except Brian, I think one Jesus Flores would have been an excellent option behind the plate! If you missed him, don't worry the Mets will try to trade for him next season.

    I pin the loss on the Schneid because everyone knows Pedro is liable to tire and give em all back at this point, and everyone knows the pen is a turd. Those guys just played to their capabilities, with Pedro arguably even being gritty about it. Schneid? He just had to open his glove, put a pot of tea on the stove, and wait for the fucker to run into him!! Then we're looking at a one game lead with Johan on the mound tonight, not looking for a sharp object to take to our wrists!

    Geez I sure hope Matt Wise is ready for next season, cause that was the only move Omar saw fit to make in the shitpen, so he must be awesome!

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't count Flores because that ship had sailed already by the '07 '08 offseason, as I recall, and I'm trying to forget about how stupid it was to let him go. Once Flores had gone, it was Torrealba

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I knew I could count on you to have a post after another stomach punch game like that one.

    I am the most upset at Schneider as well. He was billed as a great defensive catcher, but he has been AWFUL all year. Not OK, not mediocre, not bad, but awful. Worse than Piazza awful, without the hitting.

    As for Church, to give him credit, he made a good cutoff and strong throw for the first half of the relay that should have ended the game in the 9th.

    The funny thing about Ayala last night is that the 3 hardest hit balls all were outs, while the two softest ones were hits (The double really was an OK flyball that found the right spot).

    Finally, I dropped by Giuseppe's yesterday. He wasn't around. They told me to come early in the AM, so I'm going to try again next week.

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger katherine said…

    I confess I went to bed after the top of the 12th, with the idea I would sleep better trying to imagine that the Mets could win the game. I woke up to the headline on MLB.com, "Mets Shocking Loss to Phillies". But, as Marco said, as soon as Pedro gave up the 5 runs, the loss seemed preordained. The main thing that enraged me was all the double plays. That has been a terrible problem all season.

    So the loss was shocking, as in watching someone walk towards you slowly with a Taser.
    But not shocking as in surprising.

    I might not watch tonight, too. It is ridiculous to let something so totally out of my control affect my happiness. I am going to read a book instead. The problem is, I still have to get up every 20 minutes to check the box score, or my mother calls to say "Fernando just hit a 3 run homer!" and I get sucked back in again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.