It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Santana Nirvana!

In the end, the news was brought by a Nightengale. Bob Nightengale.

The Mets got their man, and kept F-mart. The plan went down just the way I drew it up in dreamland last night.

Allow me to set the scene, so that we can remember this moment for ever.

The backdrop: a historical collapse followed by mindbogglingly bad trade. A fan base riled up as never before by a never ending stream of bloggery.

The competition: only two of professional sports' most wealthy and successful franchises who have shown year after year that they would compromise good judgment if it meant undermining the other.

The atmosphere: Metsfan-land turned into Johan-isburg. Breath after baited breath. Day after endless day. Month after cold month.

The payoff:
The Mets rotation, by turns old and unproven, turned from question to exclamation mark.

The Mets, subject to confirmation, give up "only" Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey. Mets can still shop the F-Mart special.

Omar, in danger of being remembered only as the Milledge Idiot, shows he has more tricks in his bag than just showing up at your house for Thanksgiving with a bag of cash.

Now, most of NY and Mets nation, not to mention all the GMs waiting for this to go down, have to get back to work.

Let's get that 24+1 contract extension done!!

BallHype: hype it up!

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YEAH!!! SANTANA FINALLY CAME DOWN THE CHIMNEY!!!

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    Ho Ho ho!

    thanks for stopping by. I was beginning to feel lonely.

    What is there bad to say about this trade for the Mets?

    Let the endless analysis of the prospects begin!

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If this is as it is being reported, how could anyone have a bad word to say?! We'll have gotten the best pitcher in baseball and managed to keep our top prospect and no ML talent. Gomez and Mulvey particularly could maybe help the Twins out soon and very much. Guerra has a chance in the distant future, but who knows - and don't count out Humber. But it's Santana and I will be the first one to admit, if he turns out to be a bust, that I had not a bad word to say today - just as I was showing Heath Bell out the door, too and - admit that I was in that camp. If this actually happens and it doesn't turn out to be a Torealba aborted type of affair (could you imagine?!), this is all good news for the New York Mets short and longterm barring injury or some idiot fans, media or coaches messing with him.

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    As a true Metsfan, I have been surfing the Twins sites, so as to try to keep my intake of tortured disappointment steady.

    http://www.aarongleeman.com/

    http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/neal/?p=320#comments

    I loved Gomez' game, but i think it can be said without too much hyperbole, that the Mets got Santa for nothing. Hard to believe.

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll wait for the ink to dry before I get as excited as I want to get RIGHT NOW!!!

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All sounds good to me!

    Cver will kill me for this, but why are people congratulating Matt on Metsblog for reporting this for months? First off, some guy posting on the blog actually broke the story before USA Today, his buddy who works for Santana's agent texed him.

    Congrats Matt for rewriting the same thing over and over again!

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know if I would congratulate Matthew for this, although he has been writing of our chances being OK, like other sources. I would congratulate Omar and the Wilpons. I've been on them, but credit where credit is due - and I'll save my congratulations and credit when this deal is actually done. YB, this is a good day for us, man - a little rare for Mets fans. Let's enjoy it, buddy!

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    I congratulate myself for breaking the "Johan-isberg" joke in.

    If people don't stop criticizing the Twinkie's GM , I worry he could pull out!! I'm seeing a lot of bad mojo.

    To be somewhat serious, what are the Mets remaining issues, other than a dilapidated farm, questionable heart, and a manager with suspect abilities?

    What about this one: how will all this affect Pelfrey's development? Who the hell cares, you say? Well, would the mets go ahead and sign ElDuque's brother now for depth? Even if they don't I say Pelf should start in the pen with the big club, and fill in for OldDuque when he needs his rest time (or Pedro heaven forbid).

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    These are nice choices to have, all as well, if the deal goes through. It was written by Dayn Perry the other day (who I sometimes like and sometimes don't) that Pedro was the most crucial player to any team entering the 08 season. I think that has changed for us. If Pedro, Santana and the rest of our starters can perform even close to what can be expected of them, our key player could be Duaner Sanchez. If he can become the Duaner of old, I'll be less concerned about our bullpen than I am right now. First things first, probe the guy and sign him, so Mr. Met can dance a jig! ... and yes, congratulations on Johanisberg!

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger Jaap said…

    Nothing but upside to this. Now get out your little prayer beads and pray that the Wilpons don't fuck this up in contract negotiations...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.