It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Friday, November 16, 2007

Catch as Catch Can


It's hard to get inspired by the Mets' first moves of the off season, signing Yorvit Torrealba and Ramon Castro. Marty Noble presents Omar's impending deal with the cRockies' catcher as continuing in the grand Met tradition of guarding against unforced passed balls. That sounds about right.

So even though this seems like a long contract and a downgrade, I'm not going to get all upset, as long as no one says "he calls a great game." In the end, this doesn't seem like a move that calls for anything other than a light scratching of one's (relatively) small head, some cathartic photoshoping, and then a moving on.

So far, the only thing I know about the new catcher other than he is a mediocre baseball player is that he talks funny as chronicled by April Winchell (link courtesy of Jaap). Now, making fun of people is never nice, but just do what I did, read the following transcript out loud, and see if you can help laughing. I mean, come on, its funny. I will be curious to learn which episodes of inappropriateness, sexual violence and/or depravity lurk in the new guy's background, seeing as that is a Wilpon criteria for all their (old dirty) backstops.


ANNOUNCER: Talk a little bit about tonight’s pitchers, and the conditions they had to go through.
YORVIT: Well de peaches he is doing great jaw, I mean de las mon and a ha, I mean even befo de seesaw, befo we maka da play off, de bullpeh is oust tanden. And de peaches, starden peaches, definitely, you know, gong bag on Gig Young, gong K paul’s in the gang, and den das whadeydu. En I may, Froggy, we got to give a lot oh cray do jaws, I mean he’s oust tanden ballgame tune eye and de bullpeh I mean like I say de last mon is bing amazen so…

swing and a miss?
***
Notice how the media is reporting the process that led Arod back into the Bronx? Well here are the main facts buried in glad handling bullshit articles which give a lot of words to how Arod wanted to be a Yanker, the new Spankee management regime is tough but flexible, blah blah:
1. THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE REMOTELY INTERESTED IN SIGNING A-ROD!!
2. AROD FUCKING MESSED UP BIG TIME!!
No one can afford Arod's bullshit parade this time around. That there is the main take-away. Shame on you, media.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't say you've signed the Torvit until the fat girl sings. Instead of screwing a nicely plump female, Omar screwed us again. Too bad. Which was this, Plan A, B or C? I give him an F minus.

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    sorry ive been distracted by non-baseball things. now it looks like negotiations with Torrealba are off!!
    that's the last time i photoshop without confirmation!!

    glavine better damn well, but id rather have Tom back then get freaking eckstein. give me a break. It better be a leverage thing with castillo--can omar be that dumb?

     
  • At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sorry, but I'd rather have Eckstein. Castillo is a great player when healthy, but at 3 years or even more, he has Mo Vaughn written all over him. Today is a possible holiday for you as "toothless" might announce his Br*ve deal.

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    well i feel you on castillos injuries and not wanting to give him the years. But he showed me something, and if the years are reasonable, and this depends on what the competition (asstros) does i think, you have to resign him over a declining and overrated eckstein. And i think there's still a chance with Castillo; remember the mets got him for a song meaning perhaps no one wants him that much. We will have to agree to disagree on eckstein. I'd feel more comfortable with some other st louis castoff.

    eckstein sucks.

    I breathlessly await the reasons/justification for the yorvit deal falling through.

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No post yet on Glavine's good-bye? Don't you run a blog or something and haven't you made a career out of ripping Agent Glavine the last 5 years? Disappointing....

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    what... no kudos for my photoshopping?

    i'm taking precautions with my celebratory postings from now on, for my family's sake.

    that's not to say i'm not looking forward to the mets facing "Give 'em back Glavine" several times next season. Now the Br*ves can tack on 6 first inning runs and we have nothing to be afraid of!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.