It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Sunday, November 04, 2007

24 plus 1 Fun: Mr Met in Purgatory

Arod arod arod. Why is this story getting so much play? Well, it features baseball's "best player" in the country's biggest media outlet. In this corner, an increasingly popular MLB, just trying to let its former sad sack franchise enjoy it's second championship in peace and get on with the off-season business of squeezing its fanbase for every last dime. In the other corner, a player known for thinking neither the laws of the market nor baseball's rules of etiquette don't apply to him and his crass unpalatable agent. In other words, it's a battle for baseball's soul.

My attitude on the premo primadonna shifts every day. Today, perhaps prompted by this column (and this one too) in the NY Times, it occurs to me that the Spankees and Arod really deserve each other. Arod fills that void as the quintessential Yankee--the overpaid, mercenary, self-absorbed lout who wants special rules---left by Roider Clemens, if in fact Clemens is really retiring. That is probably where he should be playing; that way everything that is wrong about baseball can be kept together in a neat package for future historians to puzzle over.

Arod seems to have himself in a pickle: he has screwed up his last two power plays, the one that landed him on a last-place Texas team, and the one that won him no Championships or friends in New York. His agent won't accept less than way too much, even though technically no team should accept without reflection that they should pay more for an older and aging Arod. And, if you are on Arod's side, you still have to admit that this next decision might be his last chance at redeeming his reputation. If he is so reputation conscious, then why does he do the things he does?

Conventional wisdom is that Arod pulled his World Series stunt because he has poor judgement. This position is backed by much evidence--going to Texas, the Jeter interview, slapping the ball, carousing with a stripper who is not his wife, yelling during the pop up--from Arod history. A fascinating alternative theory, focusing on both sides' bargaining strategies, as to why Arod did what he did is presented here by Jeffrey Gordon.

In bargaining lingo, [the announcement] is a credible signal of his desire to remain a Yankee because it is costly. In other words, to show his Yankees preference, Rodriguez was forced to appear classless by disturbing the sanctity of the Series and by stepping on Boston’s triumph. That’s a cost.

If Arod is spiritually and scientifically bound to end up back in the Bronx, then there will be a lot of fence mending to do. Arod and his agent are not doing so well in the court of public opinion, or angry mob of public opinion. The New York media is going bat-shit on Yay-Rod. Here is some Joel Sherman (as in "sure, man") rhetoric, complete with awkward mixed metaphors, to give you a taste:

And make no mistake - buyer beware - that during the past seven years, A-Rod did become a 24-plus-one player even without the merchandising tent or office space. If you sign Alex Rodriguez, you are signing a human black hole, your entire organization will be sucked into his orbit. Every story will be seen through the prism of A-Rod. If you give him the money, you must be prepared not just for his overwhelming talent, but to have your team revolve around his outsized neediness and greediness. In fact, merely signing Rodriguez to another record deal will only further his sense of entitlement.

To Sherman, this all vindicates then Met GM Steve Phillips' slandering of Arod. It's a world full of assholes is all I can say, take your pick. There are also some dickwads out there if you take a look at who's "available" on the starting pitching list: God's buddy Curt Shill-ing, Kenny !*#$ Rogers, Clemens.

What does all this mean for the Mets? Well, today at least, it means I am leaning towards "Nay Rod" and away from "Yay Rod." The bottom line for me is sustainable watchability. I want a team that I can root for happily over a number of years even more than I want a World Series victory. "Becoming the Yankees" to most fans means "buying a championship" but to me, it is much more. I just don't know if I can truly love a team with Arod on it, especially if it means that WrightReyes' Mets careers are affected. Tomorrow I may be swept back up in the kind of offense lust that makes me forget my principles. Sometimes doing things right (or Wright as the case may be) is the only thing we have in this world.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All good points, man. I might have been a bit over-the-top in my words about Reyes. I hope he stays fun-loving and with us, if there is an alternative that can get us where we need to be and watchable. Yes, watching some idiot that I hate would be tough, but I guess a case could be made instead of a Yankees - goodbye Clemens, hello A-ROD, it could be a Mets - goodbye Glavine, hello A-ROD. I am actually much more interested in getting a bonafide ace and my previously mentioned scenario strangely put acquiring A-ROD as more a means to the end of getting Santana. I just have a very dissatisfying taste in my mouth about the Mets right now and I will be beyond frustrated if Omar goes on with "business as usual" and just tweaks this offseason. Definitely anything less than getting rid of Mota and Show and acquiring a great starter or two and two or three good relievers will leave us vulnerable and I frankly don't know how the hell he will be able to pull that off. Maybe he can, but I have a feeling he'll keep both of them, which will make me sick. Also, I feel badly that I couldn't come up with a single decent Kris or Anna Benson joke.

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    hey don't feel bad, most of the good mrs benson jokes have been used. And I used up all the bad ones myself.
    I share your frustrations. I hope Omar can come up with something heartwarming for us. If anything, I am a little less protective of our prospects after the collapse.

    Omar basically stood pat last offseason which was fine by me in that Zito isn't cashing checks with Fred's name on them right now. But Glavine can not be welcomed back and a pitcher with a high ceiling must be acquired if not an outright ace. The pen needs a little magic too.

    If Arod doesn't slither into shea, i hope no one we know gets him in a surprise move. Like the Br*ves.

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OH GREAT ONE, in these dark times of Torealba talk and the like, we need your spiritual guidance. Some of your words of wisdom would certainly brighten these dark Met days.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.