It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Itsmetsforme's "It Takes A Milledge" Campaign

It's time. Time to alienate my few readers? No. Well maybe. No, it's time to stand up and be counted. The NY media is trying to destroy the Mets once and future prince, Lastings Milledge. And I don't think this is such a great idea.



Replace the "v" with an "m" and the "a" with an "ed" and there you have it.

A manifesto:

In these exciting but dangerous times, what we Mets fans need is a little perspective. Yes, we're winning again and things are good. But let's not let the big Omar Kool Aid mustache we have cloud our sober judgement as to the furture. And lets not make tortured Kool Aid metaphors if we can help it.

As Mike of the Metropolitans and so many many others have recently noted, Lastings really isn't a bad kid, not on the level of an Elija Dukes. He never denied dinosaurs. He never sprayed bleach. He never went into 'operation shutdown.' He never threw a bat at an umpire, even if they had it coming. There are no reports of him anywhere near fireworks. And word is, Shawn Green is considering one of Lasting's rap songs for his new at-bat theme.

The media "theme" lately (repeated by the big apple beat, and the out of town saps that broadcast enemy teams) is that players such as Carlos Gomez have vaulted LM on the depth chart and now some, like Jim Callis, are even callously saying LM is now expendable. This, my friends, is self-destructive silly talk. LM must be allowed to develop into either a ML all-star, or a valuable trade piece; any other path is the path of ruin and disrepute.

FAQ:

Q: I'm more old school, Chuck-D/Public Enemy kind of rap fan, you know, keeping it real with a positive message; should I still support LM's career?
A: Of course, LM sends a positive message to the fans, for example by slapping their hands after a big homerun.

Q:Do you have to dislike Carlos Gomez to heart Milledge?
A: No, I love Carlos, and I still have enough aorta to heart LM. Besides if the Mets cut bait on LM, where will his parents park their R.V.?

Q: I resent other Mets fans who are so protective of their prospects, they think they all fart gold dust. Why should I support your cause?
A: No matter what your perspective, running down a Mets prospect never led to any good. While puffing up a Mets prospect has led to good for the Mets. Just ask the current Florida Marlins GM.

Q: Ok, I see the logic of your position, but...what about that note that Billy Wagner left at LM's locker, "Know your place, Rook"?
A: Billy is from the American South, and of course did not receive the best primary education. What the note really said was "I don't no where yer place is Rook --> (on the back it continued)so how can I come to your birtday party?" Billy's spelling, the messy crayon he used, and the vast media conspiracy led to this note being misquoted in all major media outlets, unfortunately. Rook is an affectionate nickname for LM. No worries.

The truth is, not all three of the Mets uber-outfield prospects will pan out and be big league viable, so why prejudice the competition now? As acting Mayor of Metsville, I hearby call off the parade to run LM out of town. Folks, remember, to build a sucessful Mets future, "It takes a Milledge" (tm).



Who's with me?

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    count me in.

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh hey, Lastings is smiling in that pic, very nice. He should walk around like that all the time, it'll throw everyone off.

    People, specifically the media leaving him alone will never happen though. Its amazing how all the little things are blown up and then stupid fans start dwelling on the small things.
    I'm tired of the mis-information that's going around about Lastings Milledge's "checkered" past. I mean one guy the other day thought that Lastings Milledge was CURRENTLY involved with having sex with 15 and 16 years olds when he was actually doing it when he was 17. It's annoying and it pisses me off to no end because being 2 years younger than Milledge I can't imagine how I would act if false and mis-construed information about me was going around.

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What the hell, I pissed on a bum when I was 23 years old, LM never did that. Whilst I'm no hip hop fan, I don't know many my age who are, I'm in his corner, that's for sure.

    I read someone's comment (was it benny bizzle?) who said these writers ought to look in the frigging mirror and see if wat Lastings did is any worse than the crap they pulled when they were in college.

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Mets Guy in Michigan said…

    I'm there!

    GREAT post!

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger metsfanincincy said…

    Lastings Rules! I want to see his in the Mets outfield this year, next year, and for years to come.

    Media - suck it!

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger I.M. Forme said…

    Fans from all over the world, unite to support LM!

    If pissing on my own leg counts, Sidd, then I too pissed on a bum in college!!

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Coop said…

    This is great. I could have written this about Stings myself!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.