It's Mets For Me: Off-Beat, Tangentially Relevant Mets Ruminations

Off Base Since 2005! Mets commentary from the counter-intuitive to the unintuitive and all the intuitives in between. ** "Through the use of humor and gross inaccuracy...a certain truth can be gained." Rob Perri ** (pester me at:itsmetsforme@gmail.com or follow me @itsmetsforme on twitter)

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Holy Shit!

This phot-shopped image from the "Speak English" website makes it look as though Rocker actally got a person of color to stand near him

Is that him? Am I last to see this? Tell me it must be fake, I thought. No, no, it sounds real.

It turns out that John Rocker is finally giving something back to American civil society, with his "Speak English" campaign.

Some highlights:

"It is this heritage that I and so many others who have had a hand in it’s creation and fulfillment, would like to see protected and supported so that future generations of immigrants can continue to realize their dreams of living in the greatest country on earth."

This campaign is in no way intended to degrade or demean the cultures or heritages of others' nationalities or races. There is never an excuse to show disrespect to anyone based simply on the diversity of his or her culture. However, this is a two way street. When immigrants vote with their feet and come to this country with the intent to live, work, raise a family and enjoy all of the incredible advantages that America has to offer, but make no attempt to learn the language, observe the customs, or celebrate the holidays, these immigrants are showing a tremendous amount of disrespect to their hosts. They are showing a tremendous lack of respect as well to the men and women who over the course of history have sacrificed much to make this country great.
In my own personal experiences, I have lived abroad for over a year of my life, three different times in Puerto Rico and once in Venezuela. During my time in these countries, I did my best to speak their language even though my Spanish is barely adequate. I attempted to speak the language whenever the situation presented itself and worked to learn the language better in order to avoid the ‘ugly American’ stereotype. I went to numerous local holiday celebrations such as parties that centered on the Puerto Rican holiday “Three Kings Day”, as well as numerous other festivals and gatherings. My life during my time abroad was certainly much easier trying to conform to local society rather than trying to make local society conform to me.


Rocker sums it up:
"I love this country and I will use my voice to help make it a better place for all of us to live. It’s time to stop feeling guilty for living in the greatest nation on earth, and start standing up for America."

We don't feel guilty for living in America, John, we feel guilty for having produced you and letting you live here.

Send your hate mail for an autograph to:
Debi Curzio at PO Box 670927, Marietta, GA 30066

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
This blog is meant completely and entirely in jest, unless you count the angst, and is not meant to offend anyone, unless you are a Br*ves fan. It's not affiliated with Sterling, the Mets, common sense, good taste, or anything really.